Suggestion for Keyboard layout dialog

Bart Schouten bart at ahum.nl
Tue Jun 13 21:50:12 CEST 2006

Hey all,

I don't know if this is the right place to say this but...

I was using KDE Control Center's Keyboard layout module,
wherein it is possible to select keyboard layouts for use.

For Dutch people, and probably many other peoples, who use an American
keyboard layout but wish to use accented letters now and then, it would be
very useful if one could add the US keyboard layout with variant Basic as
well as the US keyboard layout with variant Intl. We just want to switch
between typing accented characters and regular characters. Unfortunately, it
is not possible to add the US keyboard layout more than once.

The reason I need the Basic variant, is that in most applications, when using
the Intl variant, typing a double quote " would result in a special character
that cannot be used in scripts and so forth. I need the regular double quote,
and hence, the Basic layout variant.

Until now I haven't found a keyboard layout that exactly matches the US
layout, so getting around this limitation can't be done using the interface.

I'm using KDE 3.4.

Greetings,

Bart Schouten.