Possibility of changing "desktop" name is harmful

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Jul 14 19:49:32 CEST 2006

On Thursday 13 July 2006 22:30, Iñaki wrote:
> El Jueves, 13 de Julio de 2006 22:14, Aaron J. Seigo escribió:
> > On Thursday 13 July 2006 13:32, Iñaki wrote:
> > > I'd propose deleting the possibility of changing "desktop" name to
> > > avoid those innecesary problems. What do you thing about?
> >
> > and annoy those people who do use it and find it useful.
>
> Yes, but IMHO now it is more annoyed for common users than it could be if
> the option dissapear for users who use it.

Speaking as with my KDE user support staff hat on, I can't remember a single
question regarding such a problem. My guess is that user normally do not
change the desktop directory and those who do know what they are doing and
can change other settings accordingly.

> But in this day and age of virtual folders, task oriented software, etc...
> Gtk apps still allow the same possibilities of Windows 95 (no ioslaves, no
> embedded parts... nothing), so I hope that this great new concept of a
> modern "desktop" would be "approved" in Freedesktop.org in order to "force"
> Gtk apps to support it. If not, what will occur when the user downloads a
> file with Firefox? is there any solution planed for that in KDE4?

Well, freedesktop.org is not "forcing" standard upon developers. Even if there
is an agreement on the GNOME/KDE level, badly ported Windows applications
like Firefox will very likely still continue to lousy desktop integration,
independent on what toolkit their wrapper toolkit is implemented with.

Cheers,
Kevin

--
Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>