Possibility of changing "desktop" name is harmful

Kimmo Sundqvist kimmo.sundqvist at mbnet.fi
Tue Jul 25 18:34:54 CEST 2006

On Friday 14 July 2006 20:49, Kevin Krammer wrote:

> Speaking as with my KDE user support staff hat on, I can't remember a
> single question regarding such a problem. My guess is that user normally do
> not change the desktop directory and those who do know what they are doing
> and can change other settings accordingly.

I'd propose changing the ~/Desktop directory to ~/.desktop

It feels odd to open one's home folder and see the real desktop (i.e.
background) at the same time with a folder called Desktop, which, after
opening it, has all the same content the "desktop" desktop, i.e. the real
desktop has.

To accommodate any broken programs, distros or users could make a link called
~/Desktop to ~/.desktop until the matter is settled with some mighty
declaration of Freedesktop.Org

-Kimmo S.