Possibility of changing "desktop" name is harmful

Iñaki ibc2 at euskalnet.net
Thu Jul 13 21:32:12 CEST 2006

Hi, in KDE the user can change the directory name of "desktop" to anything.

The advantage of it is just related to the user's languaje, but no more.

But the disadvantages of changing "desktop" name are very important when the
user needs to use Gtk programs that don't know about the new desktop name and
still use "desktop" name to save or look for files.

A very easy example is when the user downloads anything with Firefox. By
default Firefox doesn't ask where to store the downloads and uses "desktop"
folder. So the user can't find the downloades file in him desktop.

Is it a KDE problem? or maybe Gtk problem? I don't know, but the fact is that
this possibility only can be harmful and annoying for the user. It could be
great in a world where Gnome and KDE use a standarized criterion for those
kind of common tasks, but it's not the real scenario today.

I'd propose deleting the possibility of changing "desktop" name to avoid those
innecesary problems. What do you thing about?

Regards.

--
Iñaki