Too much options in pop-up menus

Gregory Hayes syncomm at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 02:16:17 CET 2006

> - Open in new window (what is "open a mp3 file in a new window"???).

It actually should do just that ;) Open a multimedia file embedded in a new
window. A more context specific description would help to make it less
obtuse. Something like "play in an embeded window" or "play in a new tab".

I know that some of those problems can be solved editing "Actions" for each
> mime type and associated applications, but in fact by default KDE don't
> include the best possible configuration in any KDE I've tried.

Could you expand on this? I am interested specifically in what you feel
would be better defaults. Assuming they make sense, I don't see why we
wouldn't change the defaults  in SVN to be more friendly going forward.

In conclusion, I think KDE should clear the excessive entries in the pop-up
> menus, because some of them are incoherent.

I also agree that the menus should become more user friendly. Even, perhaps,
very context specific depending on several aspects of the file (MimeType,
protocol, etc.). However, I have no idea how difficult this would be. I can
imagine it would involve reworking some heavy stuff. Does anyone with more
experience have any insight on this?

Greg
-