Too much options in pop-up menus

Iñaki ibc2 at euskalnet.net
Sat Jan 14 02:06:52 CET 2006

Hi, this is my first message in this list.

It's about the excessive number of options and actions that appear when
clicking with right button of the mouse on a file or web link. In my opinion
KDE must clean the number of possibilities.

For example:

1) In a local mp3 file:

- Open in new window (what is "open a mp3 file in a new window"???).

- Open in a new tab (may be possible if you want to preview it, but I think is
not very usable, maybe with pdf documents opened in KPDF_part but not with an
audio file).

[...]

- Actions:
        - [...]
        - Download with Kget (a local file???).

- Compress (it should be inside "Actions" menu).

2) In a HREF link in a web:

- [...]

- Compress (what is "compress a HREF link"???, of course it doesn't work, the
link can be another web or a file, it doesn't work).

- See source code (it could be just in "View" menu or when you click out of
any web element).

And there is the problem of local files versus remote files (fish:/ sftp:/
ftp:/ smb:/ ...) because some "Actions" in the pop-up menu are not coherent
with local files (like "Download with Kget"). This problem has not easy
solution because menu "Actions" depend on the mimetype and not on the
protocol (unfortunately).

I know that some of those problems can be solved editing "Actions" for each
mime type and associated applications, but in fact by default KDE don't
include the best possible configuration in any KDE I've tried.

In conclusion, I think KDE should clear the excessive entries in the pop-up
menus, because some of them are incoherent.

Just it, bye!