A forward look at KDE4

Anders Storsveen wakko at generation.no
Wed Feb 22 10:35:19 CET 2006

Philip Rodrigues wrote:
>> In a way we can start from scratch here. Wouldn't that be a much
>> more productive and rewarding disussion to have?
>>

> Exactly right, and while we're on the topic of productive and rewarding
> discussions, let's take a look back at this thread, and see what we can
> learn.
>
> 1. "I do/don't use/like this/that feature" discussions don't get us very far.
> We all use a different subset of features, so comparing personal anecdotes
> doesn't help much. The usability experts can tell us about how to do
> professional and complete user testing, to find out which features have
> usability problems (eg, not discoverable, mislabelled) and provide a
> (somewhat) scientific basis to go forward. If you'd like to do some user
> testing, tell the list, and we'll try to find the necessary info.
>
> 2. "Don't say 'we should', say 'I will.' "[1]. I count over 50 messages in
> this thread, from many authors, but only one person actually *doing* any work
> (viz, Aaron's patch). I don't need to explain which of those (the discussion
> or the patch) will make more difference to the users of KDE 3.5.
> 	This list is the place to say "I want to ..., what do I need to know?", so if
> you have an itch to scratch, tell us, and someone will step up and tell you
> what you can do.

Of course I agree with you that doing actual work will yield more
results, but I feel coming with suggestions and wishes also contribute.
If you don't have time, skill or even want to do the work, but still
feel strongly for kde and see something that you think need improvement.
I don't see the harm in throwing out the idea, if someone agrees, maybe
they'll fix it.

I say, say: 'we should' ;)