A look at GNOME 2.14, comparison to KDE

Nathan Eckenrode Nathan at eckenrodehouse.net
Tue Feb 21 09:41:02 CET 2006

I have been watching this thread with great interest. I have been using linux
for about six months now. I switched from OS X to Ubuntu, to shorten my story
somewhat, I tried the default GNOME, maybe it's just so brown and plain, I
didn't like it. There were lots of tutorials on teh forums about customizing
the configuration-  the ones I paid teh most attention to had to deal with
the appearance and feel of the desktop. I tried Enlightenment both DR16 &
DR17. I liked the appearance but the applications just were not strong enough
for me. Then I came around and tried KDE.

I updated to 3.5.1 almost right away. I really have enjoyed the multifunctions
of Konqui- I use it to web browser, file manage ( I love that I can look in
my images directory and see the previews) and with the ftp capabilities can
file manage my server as if it was just an external hard drive!

There is so much more that I can do with Konqueror that I am learning. By
reading this thread I learned about using F9 to open the sidebar and bang, I
have a new function that improves my experience. Between Kontact, Konqueror
and Koffice there is very little that I need to open otherwise - ok I have
some issues with my school's newsgroups that requires Thunderbird but that's
a different thread, and my bank doesn't let me use Konqui so I leave Firefox
onboard, and if Kwrite had a .doc filter there could be no other cause for me
to use anything outside of the Ksuite.

If there was a line across the top of the sidebar that delineated that from
the toolbar above it,, much the way the sidebar is handled in Kontact - I
believe that this would produce a more unified feel to this application - or
series of applications.  I'd love to be able to put this in myself - someone
please tell me where or how. If it is part of the themes or if it is part of
the code, where this solution would be located. Otherwise, I will continue to
use these programs and look forward to learning more about how they work.

Thanks,

N8