A look at GNOME 2.14, comparison to KDE

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Feb 21 16:20:16 CET 2006

On Tuesday 21 February 2006 01:41, Nathan Eckenrode wrote:
> If there was a line across the top of the sidebar that delineated that from
> the toolbar above it,, much the way the sidebar is handled in Kontact - I
> believe that this would produce a more unified feel to this application -
> or series of applications.  I'd love to be able to put this in myself -
> someone please tell me where or how. If it is part of the themes or if it
> is part of the code, where this solution would be located. Otherwise, I
> will continue to use these programs and look forward to learning more about
> how they work.

you will find the sidebar code in:

	kdebase/konqueror/sidebar

two things to keep in mind:

0. this widget is also used in kicker for the universal sidebar. having a
frame around it there can look pretty silly =) fortunately the widget knows
if it is in "universal" mode or not.

1. putting a frame around the whole widget can look really bad in konqueror. i
actually removed some of the frames from the sidebar for 3.5 because of this.
plastik did a half-decent job of working around this, but check it with other
widget styles to appreciate the full horror of it in <3.5 ;)

--
Aaron J. Seigo