A look at GNOME 2.14, comparison to KDE

Tompos Ákos brain at hdsnet.hu
Tue Feb 21 08:10:28 CET 2006

Hi,

To be honest: I don't use konqueror.
Here is why:
I'm an ortodox two panel filemanager user. So filemanagement is out.
Yes, I've tried to set it up once as a two panel file manager, I've even
changed most of the  keybindings to be the same as to good old Volkov
Commander from DOS times. It had the same look, but the feel was nowhere
near. I'm still using MC in a konsole.

Web browsing. I've used konqeror as a web browser for long. Altough I
had a mozilla installed for pages that didn't display well. But than
Firefox came with tons of plugins, and I switched. With the plugins it
has a better feel.

>   man:/cupsaddsmb
>   info:/ls

Hey I didn't know that. :)

>   fish://kpfeifle@linuxprinting.org

I've already filed a bug report about this. It's still open. Fish
transfer is slow gives only 10% of the speed compared to duing sftp from
konsole. This is file managment.

>   smb://workgroup/windows_xp_box/my_share

This was broken for so long, I've given up hope. I think it's working
now, but I got used to smb4k. Anyway this is file management.

> In reality Konqueror is not bloated at all. Konqueror is very thin, and
> very lean. Konqueror is "only" an empty shell. An empty shell which is
> able to load other programs ("kparts") into itself and into its tabs so
> that the user can access them from one place.

I think the main problem is not the bloat. Lot of people use emacs. :-)
The main problem is the feel part of the interface.
Why use kwrite when you have kate?
The idea of the generic interface is good, but there are a couple of
auxilary commands/functions that are necessary in a program which fall
outside of the scope of the given kpart. Like tab order in a two panel
file manger. You would have to heck konqueror to have the same tab order
as Total Commander as doesn't have a real tab order. Or have you ever
tried to handle konquerors two panel file manager from the keyboard
only? It's awkward.

I think that's the main reason behind the "bloated program" argument.
People want more specialized interfaces. They don't really care if it's
the same program or not.

Brain