A look at GNOME 2.14, comparison to KDE

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Tue Feb 21 01:48:24 CET 2006

On Monday 20 February 2006 21:54, Iñaki wrote:
> El Lunes, 20 de Febrero de 2006 22:21, Aaron J. Seigo escribió:
> > > and the "Services" tab with
> > > Fonts and Printers information??
> >
> > people actually find this useful.
>
> Not the people I know.

I do. (I use "F9" to make it visible if I need it, and again "F9"
to hide it if I'm done). And I know a few others who do that too.

> Konqueror is a web browser and file browser.

I look at Konqueror completely differently. To me, it is very thin,
lean and empty shell. But a flexible one, one that can host a lots
of "KParts" inside its tabs. It is just that file management and web
browsing are the most "popular" (or least unknown?) roles Konqui can
play (also, because it changes roles automatically just by clicking
on a http link or on a Desktop icon).

> Things
> like "Fonts" and "Printers" configuration should be in KDE Control Center but
> not in a web/file browser.
> If there is people that find them useful in Konqueror is because they don't
> find them useful where the must be

No, it is because they are (for me) faster accessed directly from
Konqueror (or side bar).

> (I'm speakig about a better and cleaner
> Kcontrol that is a goal for KDE4).

I do not deny that kcontrol needs improvement (or even replacement?).
However, I am not at all confident that I could come up with a really
good design paper for it, even if you gave me 10.000 EURO and 4 weeks
to work fulltime on this task.

I'm pretty sure that someone would start writing the code if there
came a convincing, well thought out proposal with mockups. But who is
doing a design? Talk about "kcontrol needs to be better and cleaner"
I've heard a *lot* in the last 4 years. This talk is cheap. Actually
doing a good job on it is hard. I'm not up to it, therefor I stay
silent.

Cheers,
Kurt