A look at GNOME 2.14, comparison to KDE

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Feb 20 22:21:01 CET 2006

On Monday 20 February 2006 13:21, Iñaki wrote:
> be behind of Konqueror toolbar...). The actual KDE mix both toolbars and
> for example, using Kpdf embebed in Konqueror the user see in the same
> toolbar two "Back" icons and two "Forward" icons (the first ones for the
> Konqueror navigation and the last ones for Kpdf navigation). This is
> confusing, this is no user friendly.

application fault.

> I really don't like the Konqueror sidebar, is really neccesary the "amaroK"
> tab in Konqueror???

application fault.

> or the "KDE FTP" access??

yes, this sidebar plugin is broken in a few different ways. unfortunately the
sidebar has largely gone unmaintained in recent times. it's going to be
rewritten for kde4. i suggest getting involved with that as it's actually a
pretty cool project that will have large impacts on a lot of people =)

> and the "Services" tab with
> Fonts and Printers information??

people actually find this useful.

> IMO the sidebar should just show an easy way to access to the user home,
> the devices and the Lan resources, but without using lateral tabs that are
> confusing. "Home", "Devices" and "Lan" is possible all together in the left
> column.

and we had that at one point and it failed in the real world. this is another
thing we need to be careful of in "usability" attempts: not repeating past
failures simply because they are different than what we are doing now ;)

> I'm working in an HTML/Javascript preview of my idea of new Konqueror, I
> hope to finish it as soon as possible and show it.

cool. have you looked at other people's "previews" and ideas? we *really*
could use someone who is collating these ideas and helping put together a
real vision with the developers. right now we have lots of armchair designers
and very few actual workers. the former are interesting in the sense of
possibly gleaning ideas, but the latter is what makes things happen.

--
Aaron J. Seigo