A look at GNOME 2.14, comparison to KDE

Anders Storsveen wakko at generation.no
Mon Feb 20 21:49:33 CET 2006

Iñaki wrote:
> [...]
>> content-area in Konqueror. Again, Nautilus does not have these.
>>
>> - Notice the multitude of lines and borders underneath the content-area in
>> Konqueror. Again, Nautilus does not have these.
>>
>> - Notice the KDE-icon in the top-right corner on Konqueror. Again, it has
>> lines and borders around it. Similar icon in Nautilus has no such lines.
>>
>> - Does the Location-bar in Konqueror REALLY need that border around it? No
>> it does not.
>>
>> Seriously, I have no idea why KDE insist that all UI-elements must be
>> framed inside lines and borders. It makes the UI look very unsmooth and
>> cluttered, while it serves no real purpose. And you can see these
>> differences everywhere in GNOME and KDE, so it's not only these two apps.
>>

> I completely agree with you.
>

>> Other things to notice:
>>
>> - Konqueror has nine top-level menu's, Nautilus has six
>>
>> - Konqueror has 12 icons cramped closely together, Nautilus has 7 (9 if you
>> include the zoom/unzoom-icons) icons with lots of space between them.
>>

> The problem of whole KDE here is that all are icons and toolbars, all. So in
> this way it's impossible to show a smoother style.
>
> See this preview of Windows Vista:
>   http://winvista.sinfreno.com/imagenes/winvista-6.jpeg
>
> Look at the "Back" and "Forward" icons: they are toogether in a beautiful
> style. Is something similar possible in KDE? I've never seen, all I see is
> always an icon for each thing and the only extra-possibility is to set an
> space or separator between two icons.
>
> This problem becomes bigger when using Kparts and the toolbar is modified (but
> it looks similar) so the user simply doesn't understand what occurs. My
> suggestion here is that each Kpart include its own toolbar that is different
> from the Konqueror toolbar (the color, the icons size, it could be behind of
> Konqueror toolbar...). The actual KDE mix both toolbars and for example,
> using Kpdf embebed in Konqueror the user see in the same toolbar two "Back"
> icons and two "Forward" icons (the first ones for the Konqueror navigation
> and the last ones for Kpdf navigation). This is confusing, this is no user
> friendly.
>

>> - Notice the six icons in the sidebar in Konqueror. Nautilus does not have
>> them, but they seem to be using a drop-menu instead (the "Informacione").
>> Konqueror's implementation presents several UI-elements and makes the UI
>> look busy, whereas Nautilus's implementation has only one UI-element
>> visible, making the UI less cluttered.
>>

> I really don't like the Konqueror sidebar, is really neccesary the "amaroK"
> tab in Konqueror??? or the "KDE FTP" access?? and the "Services" tab with
> Fonts and Printers information??
>
> IMO the sidebar should just show an easy way to access to the user home, the
> devices and the Lan resources, but without using lateral tabs that are
> confusing. "Home", "Devices" and "Lan" is possible all together in the left

I'm glad you said this, I was just looking at the thing and wondering
why that stuff is there. Especially by default.
And the whole Home/Root abstraction is just weird and honestly a little
confusing. I've been using kde and konqueror for years now, and I have
never clicked any of the buttons(except for checking what they are),
other than Home and Root, which is to get to subfolder from home I need
an extra click :/

Also, just because netscape navigator from the 90's had a big icon to
the right which moved when stuff happened, doesn't mean kde from 2006
needs one:/ *clutter*