KDE4 and KIO Fuse

Iñaki ibc2 at euskalnet.net
Wed Apr 12 00:16:18 CEST 2006

El Martes, 11 de Abril de 2006 23:38, Aaron J. Seigo escribió:
> > - Using KDE apps I can use all the kioslaves perfectly.
> > - Using non KDE apps I can use no kioslaves.
>
> a patient goes to the doctor and says, "doc, it hurts when i do this" and
> the proceeds to wrap his arm behind his back and sit on it. the doctor
> says, "so don't do that!"

:)
But note that the common users don't know "what an KDE app or non KDE is", so
imagine the following:

- The secretary open "Remote sites" in Konqueror and open a TXT file in a
Samba server, so Kate appears. She modifies the file, press Ctrl+S and that's
all.

- After that she open a ODT file in the same location, so OpenOffice appears,
modifies the doc and when press Ctrl+S... oh.... she must save it
in /tmp !!!   "what is /tmp ???" will ask...

Yes, OpenOffice just sucks (I hate it) but when OpenOffice has the KDE style
installed it's difficult for the common user to recognize KDE or non KDE
apps. In fact note that in Windows nobody needs to recognize between the kind
of apps to use the common protocols.

> > > then your set up is fundamentally broken.
> >
> > Why?
>
> because it works if your system comes decently configured, offers things
> like user mounting of windows shares and you use apps that are aware of
> "advanced" (as in last century) concepts such as "vfs"

Which apps do you mean? the only "easy" solution I can imagine is smb4k, but
this forces the user to use a different app just to acces to a shared
resource.

Are there easy tools for configuring mount points of remote systems in Linux?
note that this requieres root privilegies and in most cases they requiere the
user to know the exact name of the resource (with smb:// is so easy....).

> > Do you think Gtk apps should support the KDE kioslaves? anyway I think it
> > will never occur.
>
> i think it would be nice for the users of those apps, yes. it would require
> Gtk+ people caring about it and someone to do a lot of integration work. i
> too think the odds of it happening are fairly low. thankfully we have lots
> of great kde apps. and where they are week they are getting stronger.

Gtk+ people want integration with nothing. In fact only Nautilus supports
Gnome-VFS. I think Gtk+ people will never think about kioslaves.

Regards!

--
y hasta aquí puedo leer...