KDE4 and KIO Fuse

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Apr 11 23:38:07 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 11 April 2006 14:50, Iñaki wrote:
> Do you mean that you can use kioslaves with non KDE apps to modify docs
> directly in the server???

ah, you're talking about non-kde apps only? well, in that case, yeah, you're
screwed. how that's kde's fault / problem is beyond me though.

yes, an OS can provide FUSE or some other making-vfs-look-local solution but
that's an OS level thing.

> > not over smb://, however.
>
> I didn't note differences between kioslaves:

sorry, i though you were referring to the read-only smb slave...

> - Using KDE apps I can use all the kioslaves perfectly.
> - Using non KDE apps I can use no kioslaves.

a patient goes to the doctor and says, "doc, it hurts when i do this" and the
proceeds to wrap his arm behind his back and sit on it. the doctor says, "so
don't do that!"

> > > In my office the secretary uses Kubuntu and needs to use OpenOffice to
> > > management ODT shared documents in a Linux server. She is very
> > > frustrating with the idea of saving the ODT in the local disk and
> > > moving it manually to the server.
> >
> > then your set up is fundamentally broken.
>
> Why?

because it works if your system comes decently configured, offers things like
user mounting of windows shares and you use apps that are aware of
"advanced" (as in last century) concepts such as "vfs"

> Do you think Gtk apps should support the KDE kioslaves? anyway I think it
> will never occur.

i think it would be nice for the users of those apps, yes. it would require
Gtk+ people caring about it and someone to do a lot of integration work. i
too think the odds of it happening are fairly low. thankfully we have lots of
great kde apps. and where they are week they are getting stronger.

> > maybe your secretary should
> > start using programs that actually fulfill her needs.
>
> Unfortunately she needs OpenOffice because she knows how yo use it
> pefertly.

then i suppose she needs to live with the limitations of those applications.
*shrug*

--
Aaron J. Seigo