KDE4 and KIO Fuse

Iñaki ibc2 at euskalnet.net
Tue Apr 11 22:50:53 CEST 2006

El Martes, 11 de Abril de 2006 22:12, Aaron J. Seigo escribió:
> > In my opinion the "no-go" is when a user open a ODT document via smb
> > kioslave and after modify it he can't save the document in the server. In
> > fact he must save it in his home and move to the server manually and
> > replace the old one.
> >
> > This is terrible, and it's not just a problem with Samba, but with any
> > kioslave.
>
> actually, any ioslave that supports writing works just fine. i routinely
> open remote documents, edit and hit ctrl-s to save them back to the server.

Sorry Aaron, could you explain me what you mean?
I know that I can acces to remote docs using kioslaves and save them directly,
but only if I'm using KDE apss, of course.

Do you mean that you can use kioslaves with non KDE apps to modify docs
directly in the server???

> not over smb://, however.

I didn't note differences between kioslaves:
- Using KDE apps I can use all the kioslaves perfectly.
- Using non KDE apps I can use no kioslaves.

> > In my office the secretary uses Kubuntu and needs to use OpenOffice to
> > management ODT shared documents in a Linux server. She is very
> > frustrating with the idea of saving the ODT in the local disk and moving
> > it manually to the server.
>
> then your set up is fundamentally broken.

Why?

> samba is not meant to be used
> this way. period.

Why not? I can open and modify files in the server vis smb kioslave as any
kioslave.

> > The solution was creating a SMB mount point in the fstab, but of course,
> > she couldn't do it, I did it, but a common user can't do it. So
>
> this is a problem with kubuntu. it works quite nicely on other OSes.

I'm annoying! Can you explain that please? thanks a lot, of course.

> > Note that many apps are not KDE, and they will never support kioslaves,
> > so we have a REAL problem. It's not a fault of KDE, maybe, but the
> > problem exists, and FUSE could be a solution for this real problem, isn't
> > it?. Why don't support it?
>
> there is no reason an OS couldn't provide it, and i'm sure users would
> appreciate it. so go ask kubuntu devs about it.
>
> but it's not something we can provide -or- rely on from the KDE
> perspective. and to be honest, it's not, as you point out, in our ability
> to fix the fact that other applications suck.

Do you think Gtk apps should support the KDE kioslaves? anyway I think it will
never occur.

> maybe your secretary should
> start using programs that actually fulfill her needs.

Unfortunately she needs OpenOffice because she knows how yo use it pefertly.

Thanks for your response, bye!

--
y hasta aquí puedo leer...