KDE4 and KIO Fuse

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Apr 11 22:12:29 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 11 April 2006 13:42, Iñaki wrote:
> Ok, so what is the problem if KDE supports FUSE in Linux and doesn't do it
> in other operating systems?

it depends on the How. which is essentially what coolo said: we can support
it, just not make an essential core part.

> > the point is that we can only use what's available, so making FUSE (or
> > any other kernel-specific feature) a core part of KDE is almost certainly
> > a no-go.
>
> In my opinion the "no-go" is when a user open a ODT document via smb
> kioslave and after modify it he can't save the document in the server. In
> fact he must save it in his home and move to the server manually and
> replace the old one.
>
> This is terrible, and it's not just a problem with Samba, but with any
> kioslave.

actually, any ioslave that supports writing works just fine. i routinely open
remote documents, edit and hit ctrl-s to save them back to the server. not
over smb://, however.

> In my office the secretary uses Kubuntu and needs to use OpenOffice to
> management ODT shared documents in a Linux server. She is very frustrating
> with the idea of saving the ODT in the local disk and moving it manually to
> the server.

then your set up is fundamentally broken. samba is not meant to be used this
way. period.

> The solution was creating a SMB mount point in the fstab, but of course,
> she couldn't do it, I did it, but a common user can't do it. So

this is a problem with kubuntu. it works quite nicely on other OSes.

> Linux/KDE/OpenOffice doesn't offer still a good and integrated system to
> common users if there is not a Linux administrator.

we provide all the pieces necessary. whether a system integrator takes
advantage of them and puts them together properly is another matter. KDE is,
as it almost always has been, several steps ahead of Linux distributions as
well as other desktop applications (e.g. OpenOffice, GNOME, etc) when it
comes to integration and user friendly options.

you're kicking the wrong cat here.

> Note that many apps are not KDE, and they will never support kioslaves, so
> we have a REAL problem. It's not a fault of KDE, maybe, but the problem
> exists, and FUSE could be a solution for this real problem, isn't it?. Why
> don't support it?

there is no reason an OS couldn't provide it, and i'm sure users would
appreciate it. so go ask kubuntu devs about it.

but it's not something we can provide -or- rely on from the KDE perspective.
and to be honest, it's not, as you point out, in our ability to fix the fact
that other applications suck. maybe your secretary should start using
programs that actually fulfill her needs.

--
Aaron J. Seigo