Needed?? The Suggestion Box??

Aaron Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Mar 30 19:49:53 CEST 2005

On March 30, 2005 9:13, Segedunum wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 19:46:30, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > well, yes. this is true of anything. try submitting a patch that makes an
> > application crash: it won't be accepted. (at least not purposefully =)
>
> Well quite - I wasn't quite talking about that kind of patch.

right, this is a clear case of a "bad idea" patch.

often it's a less clear line. sometimes people submit patches that they truly
feel are good ideas but others, who may well be the maintainer of the
software, disagree. software development can be collaberative and successful,
but it can rarely be democratic and be successful.

> There does seem to be people who want to defend certain things that don't
> seem to make an awful lot of sense at times.

i feel the same way. but it's a local inneficiency that results from a process
(open source software development) that offers global efficiency for the
project.

> Maybe I'm being far too harsh
> there though (I'm thinking in terms of too large a set of steps, and
> changes) as this is a problem that is not peculiar to KDE, but any
> organisation really.

depends what those large sets of steps are. do you have something particular
in mind?

> progressively narrower. It will certainly happen if Linux desktop/KDE usage
> gets any larger because there will have to be certain things that can't be
> done. People are relying on the software after all, and there cannot really
> be an attitude of 'lumping it on to distributors' as there sometimes seems
> to be. That's the price of more success unfortunately.

i agree.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Society is Geometric