Needed?? The Suggestion Box??

Segedunum segedunum at actuaria.co.uk
Wed Mar 30 18:13:28 CEST 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 19:46:30, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> well, yes. this is true of anything. try submitting a patch that makes an
> application crash: it won't be accepted. (at least not purposefully =)

Well quite - I wasn't quite talking about that kind of patch.

> if the suggested solution is not realitically implementable or falls outside
> of the scope of KDE's forward directions, it probably won't happen. if it
> were otherwise, chaos would ensue.

There does seem to be people who want to defend certain things that don't seem
to make an awful lot of sense at times. Maybe I'm being far too harsh there
though (I'm thinking in terms of too large a set of steps, and changes) as
this is a problem that is not peculiar to KDE, but any organisation really.

> i don't think it's a problem. i think it's a challenge. KDE has come a long,
> long ways and this is the next frontier for us all. we are faced with these
> questions because of success and because of years of positive, useful
> efforts.

I can totally agree with that. The reason why people are talking about all
this is because KDE has now become so successful it's getting over some
growing pains.

> as a whole, KDE is too big and too diverse a community to ever come to a
> single set of wants, i think.

Well no, but I think any project needs to pull in a 'general' direction. If it
didn't you'd have total chaos. As time goes on, and as people look to do more
with KDE in many different places that general direction will get
progressively narrower. It will certainly happen if Linux desktop/KDE usage
gets any larger because there will have to be certain things that can't be
done. People are relying on the software after all, and there cannot really
be an attitude of 'lumping it on to distributors' as there sometimes seems to
be. That's the price of more success unfortunately.

Cheers,

David