Needed?? The Suggestion Box??

Segedunum segedunum at actuaria.co.uk
Tue Mar 29 21:59:59 CEST 2005

On Tue Mar 29 17:07:27, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> that said, while it may not be a huge problem for all users, it's certainly
> a growing annoyance (or worse) for more and more developers. and would it be
> more rewarding for KDE users if there were more user-centric channels for
> communication and interaction with the project available for them?

Yes, it certainly is an annoyance. I can't understand users who file bugs, or
worse, wishlists of functionality and then expect them to somehow magically
be fulfilled.

However, there is an impression that I get, especially when it comes to some
usability thinking within KDE, that there are some things which are totally
non-negotiable, even if they are fundamental things that possibly should
have been done differently had people known what the target userbase of KDE
actually is. I hope that's not the case, but it seems to be so. Sometimes
users feel that, for some things at least, even if they were to be able to
submit a patch nothing would be changed.

There was a long and winding discussion on the KDE usability mailing list
recently (and on some bug reports) that I think now has at least a partial
resolution (not ideal, just needs someone to code and submit it now ;)), but
that possibly shouldn't have happened had everyone been fairly clear about
what KDE's target user base was to start with. No extra work for developers -
just getting the fundamentals right to start off with so we don't have these
things, or minimise them. It's not unusual though, and it surfaces every so
often on other places like the dot.

It hints at a far greater problem within KDE as a project. What is it that KDE
as a whole wants? Does the project as a whole want a desktop environment that
primarily targets non-programmers or non-experienced computer users and
people in the business/government environments? Does the project want to
target experienced Unix desktop users who are used to five different choices
of performing the same task, used to arcane keybindings and ways of doing
things and menus that go on for miles?

The root problem of this is trying to know what KDE as a whole wants, what
it's about and what it wants to work towards. If that can be discussed and
nailed down then you'll have a firm basis for discussing user groups etc. and
discussing what any problems there are in a rational manner because everyone
will at least partially know where they stand. This year's aKademy is
probably a good place to do that (discussing over IRC, e-mail and bug reports
is awful, and whole a lot gets misinterpreted which spirals from there) and
should probably be a central theme. Work out what we're about, and then work
from there.

It's taught me something though. I won't discuss anything without a patch or a
work-in-progress in future, and if it's something that is seemingly sacred
and non-negotiable (for whatever reason) then I won't bother.

Cheers,

David