Needed?? The Suggestion Box??

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Mar 30 04:46:30 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 29 March 2005 12:59, Segedunum wrote:
> some usability thinking within KDE, that there are some things which are
> totally non-negotiable,

well, yes. this is true of anything. try submitting a patch that makes an
application crash: it won't be accepted. (at least not purposefully =)

if the suggested solution is not realitically implementable or falls outside
of the scope of KDE's forward directions, it probably won't happen. if it
were otherwise, chaos would ensue.

and this isn't an issue of elitism, either. not every idea i come up with gets
implemented or considered, even if i have a patch. sometimes i have to work
pretty hard to get a concept accepted. sometimes, by the time it is accepted,
it's fallen off the radars of many people who originally wanted it due to
matters of attention spans. this ensures that no one person (or small group
of people) derails the entire project by simply being able to ram through any
and all ideas.

> It hints at a far greater problem within KDE as a project.

i don't think it's a problem. i think it's a challenge. KDE has come a long,
long ways and this is the next frontier for us all. we are faced with these
questions because of success and because of years of positive, useful
efforts.

> What is it that KDE as a whole wants?

as a whole, KDE is too big and too diverse a community to ever come to a
single set of wants, i think. but we can achieve specific visions within the
project and carry those visions to the project in general.

in the next 10-14 days there will be some announcements made that will be of
interest in this regard.

--
Aaron J. Seigo