UI guidelines reports -- KDE guidelines certification, and other problems.

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jun 23 21:44:04 CEST 2005

On Thursday 23 June 2005 12:49, Carlos Leonhard Woelz wrote:
> > the reason for the "fancy XML" is to allow items to be addressed one by
> > one
> > and marked as such without having to add N bug reports, one per
> > conformance
> > issue. it's meant to be an optimized-for-usability-issues issue reporting
> > and
> > resolution mechanism.
>
> That's a good point. Especially the "N bugs" part. How they track issues
> at OpenUsability? Do they usesome sort of issue tracking system?

the XML gets fed into the website and managed from there. it's not a full
blown trouble ticketing system, but those tend to be cumbersome for usability
issues due to the back-and-forth conversation, number of unique-to-usability
attributes and sheer number of items that get noted ...

> Should we file in KDE bugzilla as well?

good question. if we can manage to get the developer checking against
openusability.org then i don't think it would be necessary.

> > but keeping usability reports and results in one place as much as
> > possible is a good thing IMO.
>
> So what should be the work flow? What if the application does not have
> an open project yet (I know KPDF does have one open), but what about
> others.

another good question =) i assume we'd just open up a project, but that may
not be optimal...

> Should we move this discussion to kde-usability?

could do ... if we have people interested in doing these reports as part of
kde-quality (i think it's an excellent fit myself), we ought to bring back a
summary of the issues at least.. hmm.. you know what, i'm going to track down
el and jan on irc and have a quick chat with them about all this and will
follow up to this list then and perhaps to kde-usability as well.

--
Aaron J. Seigo