Hello, all

Frank Osterfeld frank.osterfeld at gmx.de
Fri Jun 17 13:05:38 CEST 2005

On Friday 17 June 2005 12:33, Dik Takken wrote:

> In case you like to write something new, you might want to take a look at
> the new desktop search technology called Beagle, developed by GNOME
> people. It seems that it has an indexing daemon that runs independently
> from any desktop system. So, it might be possible to write a KDE search
> application that uses Beagle. Beagle can be used by talking to it through
> DBUS. Maybe this requires KDE to support DBUS first, I don't know (planned
> for KDE 4 IIRC). It would be most interesting if someone could get this to
> work.

There is also the KAT [1] project, working on a desktop search engine for KDE,
including fulltext extractors (using KIO) for various formats.
Scott Wheeler plans a "context framework", to link information (documents,
mails, notes, web resources, ...) on the desktop, which will include desktop
search as one application of the framework. [2-4]
So you might consider to join these projects.

[1] KAT: http:// kat.sourceforge.net
[2] Interview on tenor/klink: http://dot.kde.org/1109163846/
[3] Scott's talk on his ideas on last year's akademy:
http://conference2004.kde.org/cfp-devconf/scott.wheeler-search.metadata.interface.elements.php
[4] http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=Metadata+Talk