Hello, all

Dik Takken D.H.J.Takken at phys.uu.nl
Fri Jun 17 14:42:07 CEST 2005

> There is also the KAT [1] project, working on a desktop search engine
> for KDE, including fulltext extractors (using KIO) for various formats.
> Scott Wheeler plans a "context framework", to link information (documents,
> mails, notes, web resources, ...) on the desktop, which will include
> desktop search as one application of the framework. [2-4]
> So you might consider to join these projects.

I know about KAT and the ideas of Scott,

Beagle uses the filesystem itself to store the metadata of each file. The
big advantage if this approach is that it is fast, and the metadata is
accessible to *all* Linux applications, not just applications of one
desktop environment. One system that can be accessed by KDE, GNOME, and
everything else. Another big advantage of Beagle is that it can search any
resource that connects to it via DBUS. If your address book connects with
DBUS, Beagle will be able to search your addressbook.

About Scott's ideas: Gathering context information could be implemented in
KDE and this information can also be connected to DBUS and Beagle. This
will enable both GNOME and KDE applications to access this context
information via one single search system.

If I'm not mistaken, Beagle can be the desktop search spider in the Linux
Desktop web. Applications of both KDE and GNOME should connect to it so
Beagle can find all information offered by both desktop environments.

So, I'm not sure that implementing our own KDE search tool is useful.

Cheers,

Dik