Join the Developers

Kenneth Wimer wimer at suse.de
Wed Jul 6 23:44:02 CEST 2005

* James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj at acm.org> [Jul 06. 2005 23:11]:
> Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > On Wednesday 06 July 2005 12:48, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> >
> >>Apparently, I wasted considerable time trying to discuss the $HOME vs.
> >>"My Files" issue.  It was informative; I found out a lot about lame
> >>excuses and rationalizations -- about how reactionary some KDE people are.
> >

> > See it this way: there was a discussion,
>
> I said _trying_ to discuss.  I don't think that I succeeded.  I didn't
> see a discussion.  What I saw was a lot of rationalizations and what is
> technically called "group think".
>
> Did anyone actually offer any reason that directing completely new users
> to the $HOME directory as the place to store their documents was a good
> idea.
>
> Did anyone actually offer anything to support the contention that
> completely new users understand what $HOME is?

Yes. SUSE used Documents as the default path for saving and opeing files
for a while and we received enough negative resonance from it that we
changed back. I do not mean to bring corporations into discussion but
rather the fact that our user base seriously disliked the idea.

A home dir with several subdirs is probably much more helpful. ie.
~/Documents, ~/Pictures, etc.

Bye,
--
Kenneth Wimer