Join the Developers

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu Jul 7 01:06:08 CEST 2005

Kenneth Wimer wrote:
> * James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj at acm.org> [Jul 06. 2005 23:11]:
>
>>Alexander Neundorf wrote:

>>>See it this way: there was a discussion,
>>
>>I said _trying_ to discuss.  I don't think that I succeeded.  I didn't
>>see a discussion.  What I saw was a lot of rationalizations and what is
>>technically called "group think".
>>>
> Bye,
>>Did anyone actually offer any reason that directing completely new users
>>to the $HOME directory as the place to store their documents was a good
>>idea.
>>
>>Did anyone actually offer anything to support the contention that
>>completely new users understand what $HOME is?
>

> Yes. SUSE used Documents as the default path for saving and opeing files
> for a while and we received enough negative resonance from it that we
> changed back. I do not mean to bring corporations into discussion but
> rather the fact that our user base seriously disliked the idea.

Hi Kenneth, how are things at SuSE?

There do seem to be a lot of people that dislike change. :-)

History suggests that users do not respond well to the tree file
structure and choose to throw everything in one file.  ARGH!

> A home dir with several subdirs is probably much more helpful. ie.
> ~/Documents, ~/Pictures, etc.

IAC, I was not suggesting that we change the default for 'Documents
path' only that things respond correctly if a user chose to change it,
rather than (incorrectly) presuming that ALL users would want to use the
default and hard coding stuff to only work with the default.

--
JRT