[kde-quality] Re: Join the Developers

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu Jul 7 01:00:12 CEST 2005

Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 02:11:14PM -0700, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>Did anyone actually offer any reason that directing completely new users
>>to the $HOME directory as the place to store their documents was a good
>>idea.
>

> I missed the original discussion (or it happened elsewhere, probably).
> Can you give a pointer to where you listed your rationale for NOT using
> $HOME?  (A ML archive URL would be fine.)

Much of it occurred on:

http://dot.kde.org/1120287053/

There are also postings to kde-core-devel & kde-usability-devel

To sum up my point.  We have a link in "Konqueror Introduction" with the
$HOME.  I think that it should point to the location where you keep your
personal files as determined by how you set [in the Control Center]:

	System Administration -> Paths: 'Documents path'

[I see this as almost a tautology.]

Otherwise, users are forced to use $HOME for their personal documents,
or this feature is useless for them.

On Windows it is similar to what I suggest:

	C :\Documents and Settings\<user_name>\My Documents

But, this is only a suggestion.  It should be configurable so that users
are free to set it 'any way they want'(tm).

There is also a parallel situation in "system:/" and the rational is the
same for that.  It was proposed that we have a IO-Slave to find HOME
folders for users in the same group.  This idea presumes that users
would be storing their "personal files" in $HOME rather than looking for
the directories specified by the 'Documents path' which should be where
the users are actually storing their personal files.

I also made a general point that it is not good design to presume that
everyone will use the defaults.

--
JRT