Join the Developers

Stefan Kombrink katakombi at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 14:55:27 CEST 2005

Hi James,

> The KDE project welcomes anyone who wants to help, be it by writing
> code, finding or fixing bugs, drawing icons and logos etc. To keep
> everyone in touch we use the development mailing lists, this section
> provides an index to them, and access to the archive of all the mails.
>

> But it doesn't really say how to join.
>
> So, how do you join?  How do you contribute to KDE?
>
> Various people have made suggestions.  I have tried to follow them.  I
> posted one patch to a bug report and one to kde-core-devel.  Still waiting.

Maybe the best way to contribute is creating a little application.
That's the way I have chosen.
It also seems more logical to me rather using some already created KDE API to
create a new application than modifying code that has had lots of manpower
put into it already despite being used to it.

> Apparently, I wasted considerable time trying to discuss the $HOME vs.
> "My Files" issue.  It was informative; I found out a lot about lame
> excuses and rationalizations -- about how reactionary some KDE people are.
>
> I even wasted my time making a patch for part of the changes I made to
> my system.
>
> Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I see a closed group of
> slightly arrogant developers that while they (apparently disingenuously)
> complain about having too much to do, don't really want any help with
> the project.  At least they don't want help except on their own terms.

I agree on that getting involved into KDE development is a slow process.
But after all, my experiences on kde-devel are mostly positive.
Questions are answered very quickly and detailed, the conversation is very
technical but nevertheless warmly.

> I hope that this is not the impression that they want to make, but,
> unfortunately, it is.  At least it is the impression that I am getting.
>   If anyone wants details, please contact me by private e-mail.
>
> So, I thought that before I simply walk away from the project, I would
> ask if anyone really wants help with the KDE project.  If so, you know
> where to contact me.  I will say this again that new people need
> encouragement.  Ignoring them doesn't really work unless you want them
> to go away.

I lately posted a thread where I asked for help getting my little application
(ksynaptics) ready for KDE 3.5.
Although this is not exactly what you have asked for, maybe you are interested
anyhow?
Aspects of usability and visual appearance are welcome as well :)

   regards,
    Stefan K. >8^)