Join the Developers

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed Jul 6 12:48:59 CEST 2005

http://developer.kde.org/joining/

<<
The KDE project welcomes anyone who wants to help, be it by writing
code, finding or fixing bugs, drawing icons and logos etc. To keep
everyone in touch we use the development mailing lists, this section
provides an index to them, and access to the archive of all the mails.

But it doesn't really say how to join.

So, how do you join?  How do you contribute to KDE?

Various people have made suggestions.  I have tried to follow them.  I
posted one patch to a bug report and one to kde-core-devel.  Still waiting.

Apparently, I wasted considerable time trying to discuss the $HOME vs.
"My Files" issue.  It was informative; I found out a lot about lame
excuses and rationalizations -- about how reactionary some KDE people are.

I even wasted my time making a patch for part of the changes I made to
my system.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I see a closed group of
slightly arrogant developers that while they (apparently disingenuously)
complain about having too much to do, don't really want any help with
the project.  At least they don't want help except on their own terms.

I hope that this is not the impression that they want to make, but,
unfortunately, it is.  At least it is the impression that I am getting.
  If anyone wants details, please contact me by private e-mail.

So, I thought that before I simply walk away from the project, I would
ask if anyone really wants help with the KDE project.  If so, you know
where to contact me.  I will say this again that new people need
encouragement.  Ignoring them doesn't really work unless you want them
to go away.

Bye:

--
JRT