KDE Games and MUD

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Jan 14 17:48:27 CET 2005

On Friday 14 January 2005 09:17, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Am Monday 10 January 2005 19:26 schrieb Max Howell:
> > Anyway absolutely kmuddy should go into CVS, this is the only way that
> > KDE can improve, by encouraging developers to become part of the process.
>
> No. KDE packages have already enough stale applications with no maintainer.
> While distributions can split CVS packages into several binaries, it's in
> no way feasible to have _huge_ packages for e.g. gentoo, freebsd and people
> compiling from source.

I guess whenever someone suggests that a new application should become part of
a KDE package, they forgot about the existence of kdeextragear or we haven't
succeeded in communicating the ideas around kdeextragear to the packagers yet
(maybe they treat it like some kind of kdenonbeta thing)

> So I think, kdegames should only have a set of games that show there are
> games for KDE - for people (and distributions) that like more games,
> kde-apps offers a full set of different applications. And I still don't see
> MUD clients as mainstream.

Especially since technically a MUD client isn't a game, it is more some kind
of advanced terminal emulator.
(and yes, I know what I am talking about, I have been a MUD client developer
for a couple of years)

Moreover, there is usually a lot of things on the TODO list for a MUD client,
something you don't want to restrict to the longer release cycles of KDE's
base packages.

Cheers,
Kevin