kfind-revisited (was Re: A newbie)

Barış Metin baris at uludag.org.tr
Tue Feb 22 01:22:42 CET 2005

Hello,

Pazartesi 21 Şubat 2005 23:37 tarihinde, Alexander Neundorf şunları yazmıştı:
> > - I think we don't need a "case sensitive" option at first sight. Most of
> > the time search will be case-insensitive. We can put an "additional"
> > option for user who need case sensitive search. By default checkbox is
> > unselected.
>
> How should this look ?
> Additional option "case sensitive file name search" ?
> I think it is more obvious if the checkbox is directly beside the filename.
>
> > Maybe, we can have a policy like, "not to show the option, if it's not
> > used by default"?
> >
> > - It's same with the "Include subfolders" option. After selecting a
> > folder to search user will probably want a recursive search. This can be
> > an additional option too.
>
> Same as above ;-)

I thought a cleaner interface can be much more usable. Just a thought, I can
step back for these :).

> > - Same applies to m_matchModeCb, combo box. I don't think an avarage user
> > even know what regexp means.
>
> Yes. That's why I set the default to "contains", which is good for the
> newbie, and advanced users can easily select regexp or wildcard.

It seems a bit confusing to me, anyone can add an additional option for regexp
and we can activate wildcard support by default for file name. Is it
possible?

> > I took a look at the gfind (gnome) screenshots and found some
> > similarities with our revisited kfind view.
>
> Well, approx. one and a half year ago I saw the Mac OS X search tool the
> first time, and I really liked it but never got around to do something
> until recently.
> It seems the same happened to some gnome hacker.
> The one-line-add-option idea comes from the Mac OS X search tool.
> I didn't use this approach since then everything has to fit into one line.
> This might be problematic for some options. E.g. for the mimetypes I used
> now a listbox instead of a combobox, which is easier to use IMO. Comboboxes
> with many items (the mimetypes must be more than 100 I think) are IMO hard
> to use. But I agree that an extra dialog ain't too nice either.
> What do you think ?

I think using dialogs for additional options is perfectly fine, but we can
create a different dialog for each option.

I've added a dialog for "Contains text". You can see it in action:
http://cekirdek.uludag.org.tr/~baris/files/kfind2.jpg
http://cekirdek.uludag.org.tr/~baris/files/kfind3.jpg

And here is my dirty code :) :
http://cekirdek.uludag.org.tr/~baris/files/kfind-02222005.tar.gz