kfind-revisited (was Re: A newbie)

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Feb 21 22:37:54 CET 2005

Hi Baris,

On Sunday 20 February 2005 03:38, Barış Metin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I don't know if this is the right list for this stuff. If not please direct
> me.
>
> Cuma 18 Şubat 2005 18:34 tarihinde, Alexander Neundorf şunları yazmıştı:
> > Check out kdenonbeta/kfind-revisited (I think it should have better gone
> > into kdeplayground...)
> > It replaces the kfind UI with a quite different UI, inspired the Mac OS X
> > search tool. It's still very rough, but I think you get the point if you
> > see how it looks now. The listview doesn't look nice. A configurable
> > results listview with selectable columns, providing a fucntion to save
> > the search options and other things.
> > I'll be away over the weekend, so you won't hear much from me before next
> > week.
>
> Tonight I had some time for a quick look. Here are my opinions:
>
> - I think we don't need a "case sensitive" option at first sight. Most of
> the time search will be case-insensitive. We can put an "additional" option
> for user who need case sensitive search. By default checkbox is unselected.

How should this look ?
Additional option "case sensitive file name search" ?
I think it is more obvious if the checkbox is directly beside the filename.

> Maybe, we can have a policy like, "not to show the option, if it's not used
> by default"?

> - It's same with the "Include subfolders" option. After selecting a folder
> to search user will probably want a recursive search. This can be an
> additional option too.

Same as above ;-)

> - Same applies to m_matchModeCb, combo box. I don't think an avarage user
> even know what regexp means.

Yes. That's why I set the default to "contains", which is good for the newbie,
and advanced users can easily select regexp or wildcard.

> I took a look at the gfind (gnome) screenshots and found some similarities
> with our revisited kfind view.

Well, approx. one and a half year ago I saw the Mac OS X search tool the first
time, and I really liked it but never got around to do something until
recently.
It seems the same happened to some gnome hacker.
The one-line-add-option idea comes from the Mac OS X search tool.
I didn't use this approach since then everything has to fit into one line.
This might be problematic for some options. E.g. for the mimetypes I used now
a listbox instead of a combobox, which is easier to use IMO. Comboboxes with
many items (the mimetypes must be more than 100 I think) are IMO hard to use.
But I agree that an extra dialog ain't too nice either.
What do you think ?

> So I got some ideas from it and prepared a new code base.

Very cool, will look at it really soon.

Bye
Alex