kfind-revisited (was Re: A newbie)

Barış Metin baris at uludag.org.tr
Sun Feb 20 03:38:51 CET 2005

Hello,

I don't know if this is the right list for this stuff. If not please direct
me.

Cuma 18 Şubat 2005 18:34 tarihinde, Alexander Neundorf şunları yazmıştı:
> Check out kdenonbeta/kfind-revisited (I think it should have better gone
> into kdeplayground...)
> It replaces the kfind UI with a quite different UI, inspired the Mac OS X
> search tool. It's still very rough, but I think you get the point if you
> see how it looks now. The listview doesn't look nice. A configurable
> results listview with selectable columns, providing a fucntion to save the
> search options and other things.
> I'll be away over the weekend, so you won't hear much from me before next
> week.

Tonight I had some time for a quick look. Here are my opinions:

- I think we don't need a "case sensitive" option at first sight. Most of the
time search will be case-insensitive. We can put an "additional" option for
user who need case sensitive search. By default checkbox is unselected.
Maybe, we can have a policy like, "not to show the option, if it's not used
by default"?

- It's same with the "Include subfolders" option. After selecting a folder to
search user will probably want a recursive search. This can be an additional
option too.

- Same applies to m_matchModeCb, combo box. I don't think an avarage user even
know what regexp means.

- In my opinion buttons "add more options" and "clear options" are a bit
confusing at the buttom. I think we should show search options closer in the
window.

- One more :). I think a rewrite can be more promising for a cleaner code.

I took a look at the gfind (gnome) screenshots and found some similarities
with our revisited kfind view. So I got some ideas from it and prepared a new
code base.

http://cekirdek.uludag.org.tr/~baris/files/kfind.tar.gz
http://cekirdek.uludag.org.tr/~baris/files/kfind.jpg

What do you think?