A job for the "Janitors"

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue Feb 15 10:31:38 CET 2005

Before the latest attack by AJS, I had an idea and I had started working
on it myself.  But, then I found that it was not welcomed by the ADs
(which now stands for Annoyed Developers).

I thought that we could try to 'polish' KDE by trying to assist with
fixing a lot of small things that are not quite right even though they
are usable.

Even though AJS told me that both of my first two suggestions were
lacking, I still think that it is a good idea.

This is based on a Japanese idea of quality: constant improvement.  That
is, no matter how good something is, there are always changes that can
be made to improve it.

My first effort was with the ToolBars for KView and KGhostView KParts.
There were three new icons that I felt were needed on the ToolBar of
KGhostView and one of them could be added to KView.  But, first the
ToolBars needed to be separate like the one in the KSVG KPart.  So, I
made the icons -- HiColor first -- and made the simple patches for the
two KParts.  These were posted to the 'kde-devel' list and I CCd the
maintainers.  I have yet to have any real response except from AJS who
suggested that adding icons to ToolBars was a bad idea.

Well, with my additions and changes, the KGhostView KPart has 11 icons
and two list boxes.  Compare this to Adobe Acrobat Reader.

And, with my addition, the KView KPart has 6 icons and 1 list box.  I
only added one icon; the one that I though was missing: "Fit Image to
Window" and it is the one that I (now) use most often.

Obviously, these ToolBars have so many icons on them that there wasn't
any room for even needed functions.

As I said, I still think that it is a good idea for a project.

--
JRT