Question about DCOP-Features and Future

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Dec 13 12:07:48 CET 2005

hello Ingo ...

On Tuesday 13 December 2005 02:58, Ingo Malchow wrote:
> kioskmode or mostly all configs for KDE. The Admin should change the config
> for a user or a group and all changes should be applied on-demand for all
> users connected to this machine. We thought it could be done over DCOP. But
> after long research on the web and on this machine (Debian stable with
> KDE3.3) i think it is not possible this way.

yes, this can be problematic for some applications and so not all implement
it. many do, however, such as kicker, kwin, kdesktop, etc, etc...

while it may not be as aesthetically cool a solutionk, would it be possible to
do a log out of users at a certain time of low usage (e.g. in the middle of
the night)? this is a fairly typical admin practice on many platforms.

> Now my first question: Is this function only rudimentary implemented in
> some applications (e.g. KMail, kwin) just to be there for future use?

pretty much =)

> And my next question: Are there plans on how to deal with this issue? That
> you don't let your users restart KDE for applying changes made by an admin?

this really sounds like an architecture issue that we should look at in KDE4.

> I mean, i browsed the web and it seems that no one else had this problem
> before.

actually, you're the second person i've heard ask this. though that still
doesn't make the rate of incidence very high =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo