Question about DCOP-Features and Future

Ingo Malchow ingo1977 at web.de
Tue Dec 13 10:58:36 CET 2005

Hello,

my name is Ingo Malchow and i'm working in a company, that works mostly with
linux and especially with KDE. Now we wanted to deal with the kioskmode or
mostly all configs for KDE. The Admin should change the config for a user or
a group and all changes should be applied on-demand for all users connected
to this machine. We thought it could be done over DCOP. But after long
research on the web and on this machine (Debian stable with KDE3.3) i think
it is not possible this way.
Now i looked into my own machine with the newest KDE3.5 and i noticed some
changes and new functions in DCOP for nearly all necessary applications
called "reparseConfiguration()". It might be that, what i want. But it
doesn't seem to work for most of the applications.
Now my first question: Is this function only rudimentary implemented in some
applications (e.g. KMail, kwin) just to be there for future use?
And my next question: Are there plans on how to deal with this issue? That you
don't let your users restart KDE for applying changes made by an admin? I
mean, i browsed the web and it seems that no one else had this problem
before.
I hope that doesn't sound too bad, since my english is not that good and i
love KDE so much. My own future plan is to contribute some time for doing
something for KDE, but i first need some time to learn C++ some more. C and
Java is what i have done so far.
And last, to all KDE-Developers and Helpers, keep up the great work!
Cheers
--
Ingo Malchow

Tel.:			0231/4761189