Massive Konqueror Regression

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau Friedrich.W.H at kossebau.de
Thu Aug 18 16:48:34 CEST 2005

Am Donnerstag, 18. August 2005 16:03, schrieb David van Hoose:
> Luke-Jr wrote:
> > On Thursday 18 August 2005 03:14, David van Hoose wrote:
> >>There needs to be someone that does alpha tests on each patch.
> >>Yes, this will take time. Yes, it's a dirty job.
> >
> > Are you volunteering to do it?
>
> I would, but I'm starting graduate coursework this month. Sorry.

Lousy excuse. If you are really concerned about the quality do something.
Everyone knows there are a lot of things to improve. It needs someone to do
it. The time it takes you to write your emails you could instead begin to
think about a setup in which each patch gets (automatically) checked for
regressions. What about that? Afterall KDE is developed in spare time by
most. Take 3 hours a week and start.

> >>But think about it for a few seconds and you'll come to a realization
> >> that if you don't, you'll just have to test it later or wait until a bug
> >> is found in it.
> >
> > So in other words, KDE devs have to find it or someone else will... The
> > latter sounds better, since there are many more "someone else"s than
> > there are KDE devs ;)
>
> No. What I said is, "make the KDE devs check their code changes with
> regression tests so that the KDE bugzilla doesn't contain 6000+ bugs of
> which 2/3 are still unconfirmed because they don't have time to check
> them out properly." Does this make more sense to you?

Become a KDE dev yourself. And see the world from the other side, too.

> >>If you don't believe this to be worthy of the KDE team, then tell me how
> >>many confirmed and undconfirmed bugs there are in the database.
> >
> > How does that matter? The KDE team has better things to do. Those
> > incapable of developing KDE itself can take on the simple task of testing
> > their favourite broken website... you'll have to do it eventually, might
> > as well do it during alpha releases :)
>
> So what you're saying is that skrew the average end-user; the only thing
> the KDE devs care about is if it works for them. This is how you just
> came across. Is this accurate?

Everyone scratches his itch. Usually by this a lot of others' itches are
scratched, too. Remember the (most) driving force of all the active KDE
developers is fun. Only a few are actually paid to work on KDE (and it's not
you who pays them, or?). Demanding is something that will yield friendly
astonishment at best.

Then have a look at all those squished bugs that were done based on users'
reports. You really do not want to say KDE developers don't care for the
average user, do you?

Advising others how to do something does not work. Lead by example, that
might.

Regards
Friedrich