Massive Konqueror Regression

C. Michailidis dinom at balstonresearch.com
Thu Aug 18 08:25:45 CEST 2005

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 19:49, aseigo at kde.org wrote:
> i feel like i'm talking to a brick wall here. we could have 10x the number of
> regression tests we currently have and there would still be bugs that get
> through. we need more people (e.g. not developers) doing q/a testing. i've
> explained why a few times now, so tell me: what part of that explanation is
> not clear enough?

It's my opinion that if you don't have enough q/a engineers you may as well not have any software developers at all.  If KDE doesn't have enough people with the sole responsibility of doing q/a then you just might REALLY BE talking to a brick wall Aaron.

If I were KDE upper management I would probably offer the entire koffice group a job in an overhauled QA department (a QA department with real muscle, esp. around release time - not some whimpy QA dept) or let them go.  The qa people would do integration and regression testing, knowledge/issue db management and play an active role in producing the releases (it may even be their responsibility).

Having a high q/a engineer to developer(coder) ratio isn't just a luxury, sometimes it's a neccesity.  I've worked on projects before where q/a people had development people outnumbered 2:1 if not more.  IMHO most projects with inadequate q/a resources are doomed... Doomed.... DOOOOMED!!

BTW, JH, I took your advice (sort of) and installed the 'kde-lite' port instead of 'kde3'.  It still took 6 hours to build... ugh!  Boy I wish there was a 'kde-wm' port that could build in 20 minutes.  Well, maybe this is 'another' FreeBSD ports issue.

After 'downgrading' to kde-lite, I decided to use a different window manager altogether to get a better idea of which portions of KDE I really do like to use (figuring if I miss it, I like it).  As soon as I went to run 'kdesu k3b' while using enlightenment I see... "KCrash: Application 'kdesu' crashing..."!  Lol, turns out kdesu wets the bed if you aren't using the kde window manager (yes I tried it with a handfull of other window managers, yes one was wmaker)!  Now, some of you seasoned KDE vetrans out there may be inclined to say 'Maybe kdesu isn't supposed to work unless the kde window manager is running?' to which I say... 'Shouldn't it let me know this instead of crashing?'

Where's my tiger team of former KOffice developers when you need em?!? ;-)

-Dino