[kde-quality] Re: window tabbing (especially kdevelop)

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 23:56:46 CEST 2005

>>Where you're ONLY clue is the favicon.  Of course, if you have 50 tabs open
from the _same site_, the icons are useless.  You have to hover over each
one to figure out which is which.

How about showing thumbnails in an icon list at the left of the screen
in a similar fashion to presentation applications (PowerPoint,
OpenOffice etc.)  In terms of visual cues, websites are distinctive
like presentation slides, so I think this would be better than simply
trying to find a way to show more text links (which is essentially
what tabs are), or fit extra visual cues into a very small space.
Multiple rows might help (although this would need some though to
avoid the kind of multi-row nightmares seen in Sucky-GUI sites), but
the user still has to read the tabs and decipher the text to pick the
page if it does not have a distinctive favicon.

When the user has a lot of pages open, an accelerator could be pressed
to make the thumnail view fill the window (and the same accelerator
would hide the view).

- Robert.