unmount problems

Andreas Baer andreas_baer at gmx.de
Wed Apr 20 18:24:36 CEST 2005

Hi @all,

Sorry for my little disturbance, but I've discovered a bad behavior in
KDE (at least for my own usability).
I have sometimes problems to unmount disks or directories, which are
only mounted for a little time period and I want to umount shortly
after using them through KDE. In the most cases I then get back a simple
"device is busy" message box, which would be ok if there is a important
process that has still access to the mounted source, but after a quick
"ps ax | grep ..." I mostly see lines similar to this:

"konqueror [kdeinit] konqueror -mimetype inode/directory file:/mnt/sc"
or something with "kdeinit and kio_file".

After killing all such processes the manual way I can umount my source
as usual without problems.

My questions are now:

- Does anyone know a good solution for that problem?

- Is there a way to either disable or to minimize the creation of such
processes in KDE?

- Can anyone give me a more detailed explanation what's the reason for
their existence?

Thanks in advance,

Andreas