unmount problems

Carlos Leonhard Woelz carloswoelz at imap-mail.com
Wed Apr 20 19:54:06 CEST 2005

Off the list, as it is off topic for the quality list. The quality list
is about the quality teams, not about QA. Sorry about the confusing
name, I know.

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 18:24:36 +0200, "Andreas Baer" <andreas_baer at gmx.de>
said:
> Hi @all,
>
> Sorry for my little disturbance, but I've discovered a bad behavior in
> KDE (at least for my own usability).
> I have sometimes problems to unmount disks or directories, which are
> only mounted for a little time period and I want to umount shortly
> after using them through KDE. In the most cases I then get back a simple
> "device is busy" message box, which would be ok if there is a important
> process that has still access to the mounted source, but after a quick
> "ps ax | grep ..." I mostly see lines similar to this:
>
> "konqueror [kdeinit] konqueror -mimetype inode/directory file:/mnt/sc"
> or something with "kdeinit and kio_file".
>
> After killing all such processes the manual way I can umount my source
> as usual without problems.
>
> My questions are now:
>
> - Does anyone know a good solution for that problem?

Are you using Mandrake? Are you using FAM? There is a FAM bug that has
these characteristics, AFAIK.

> - Is there a way to either disable or to minimize the creation of such
> processes in KDE?

Try not to have Konqueror preloaded (it is on the bottom option of the
konqueror config).

> - Can anyone give me a more detailed explanation what's the reason for
> their existence?

A FAM bug (FAM is used by KDirWatch), or an instance of Konqueror loaded
in the background. But this is based on other reports, I have no special
knowledge of this code.

Cheers,

Carlos Woelz
--