qwhatsthis experiment

Carlos Leonhard Woelz carloswoelz at imap-mail.com
Fri Sep 10 23:31:26 CEST 2004

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 22:57:09 +0200, "David Faure" <faure at kde.org> said:
> On Friday 10 September 2004 22:42, Carlos Leonhard Woelz wrote:
> >
> > As you can see in the example, not all submissions will helpful. A
> > volunteer working on this tasks should do the following:
> >
> > 1) Find the widget related to the submission (not available in the
> > example, but let's suppose it is).
>
> ??? The widget is always available in the submission, if you recognize
> the classnames.
> KAnimWidget immediately tells me it's the animated gear in konqueror,
> the parent being a KToolBar confirms this.
> The toplevel being konqueror-mainwindow identifies the application and
> the window.

I stand corrected, a programmer will probably know. But it was not
obvious to me, looking simply to the submission, that KAnimWidget was
reffering to the animated gear.

> > 6) Send the patch to bugzilla, or to the maintainer / devel list.
> > Bugzilla option requires more work, while the devel list  can be a black
> > hole for patches.
> Patches are usually applied, especially when trivial (qwhatsthis
> additions
> can't really break stuff).

Are you sure we can make a policy out of this? Till now, I never applied
whatsthis direcly, I always send it to the maintainer. Even for KPilot,
I wrote the doc in cvs, but sent the whatsthis for the whole app as a
single patch. For whatsthis inside C++ code, this may be even more
delicate.

> > One solution is that we should not check the content
> > as a rule, only create the patches, check the spelling and guidelines
> > conformance. The maintainer should apply the patch if he thinks it is
> > OK, or simply drop it if it is not.
> That solution will depend much more on whether the developer is willing
> spend time on this. But for maintained apps this should still work imho.
> If I get a long file with all the missing whatsthis for all the KWord
> actions,
> I'll certainly spend the required time to add the C++ code for them.
> Which means btw that it would be useful to have the strings in
> copy-n-paste
> ready format, i.e. with i18n() and "" and c-style line-breaking
> (repeating the
> double-quote at begin and end of lines)

That would not be necessary in the proposal: you would get the whatsthis
already as a C++ or .ui patch. Then you would only decide if you want to
apply it or if it's not good enough. or am I missing something you want
to say?

Cheers,

Carlos Woelz
--