qwhatsthis experiment

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Sep 10 22:57:09 CEST 2004

On Friday 10 September 2004 22:42, Carlos Leonhard Woelz wrote:
> ----///----
>
> Widget text: ''
> current --> unnamed (KAnimWidget)
> unnamed (KAnimWidget)
> mainToolBar (KToolBar)
> qt_top_dock (QDockArea)
> toplevel --> konqueror-mainwindow#1 (KonqMainWindow)
>
> Please type in your what's this help between these lines:
> --%-----------------------------------------------------------------------
> This is a test. Whatsthis submissions will be sent to this list (which
> was
> apparently unused for any other purpose for a year, so I think that's
> ok).
> --%-----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> ----///----
>
> As you can see in the example, not all submissions will helpful. A
> volunteer working on this tasks should do the following:
>
> 1) Find the widget related to the submission (not available in the
> example, but let's suppose it is).

??? The widget is always available in the submission, if you recognize the classnames.
KAnimWidget immediately tells me it's the animated gear in konqueror,
the parent being a KToolBar confirms this.
The toplevel being konqueror-mainwindow identifies the application and the window.

It will not always be obvious what the widget is, but at least there's as much
automated information as possible for this...

> 2) Proofread the text, make it follow the doc guidelines.
> 3) Review the contents, to make suer it is usefull.
> 4) Find the code in kde cvs related to the whatsthis.
> 5) Edit the .ui or c++ code to add the submission.
> 6) Send the patch to bugzilla, or to the maintainer / devel list.
> Bugzilla option requires more work, while the devel list  can be a black
> hole for patches.
Patches are usually applied, especially when trivial (qwhatsthis additions
can't really break stuff).

> On the other hand, developers, power users or long time KDE users may
> find this easier. One solution is that we should not check the content
> as a rule, only create the patches, check the spelling and guidelines
> conformance. The maintainer should apply the patch if he thinks it is
> OK, or simply drop it if it is not.
That solution will depend much more on whether the developer is willing to
spend time on this. But for maintained apps this should still work imho.
If I get a long file with all the missing whatsthis for all the KWord actions,
I'll certainly spend the required time to add the C++ code for them.
Which means btw that it would be useful to have the strings in copy-n-paste
ready format, i.e. with i18n() and "" and c-style line-breaking (repeating the
double-quote at begin and end of lines)