{Bug Hunting] Konsole

Tom Albers tomalbers at kde.nl
Mon Sep 6 19:30:46 CEST 2004

Op maandag 6 september 2004 12:22, schreef Michael Jahn:
> On Monday, 6. September 2004 00:44, Tom Albers wrote:
> > Op maandag 6 september 2004 05:30, schreef Datschge:
> > > On Sunday 05 September 2004 17:31, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> > >
> > > I think the best solution for this would organizing regular bug
> > > hunting days on IRC where people like you can gather and in cases
> > > like you are stuck in right now you can timely discuss them.
> >
> > I think you do not need a bug hunting day to work on that.
>
> You don't necessarily need one for _that_, I agree.
>
> > There are loads of bug reports which can be rewritten in a way developers
>>  can handle it quickly (like in a step-by-step-manual).
>
> > Unconfirmed reports who are a few years old need checking if they still
> > apply...
> >
> > We've done so with a couple hundred reports for kmail and together with
> > finding duplicates you can really help the developers a lot.
>
> And for that reason we should do a bug squashing day IMHO. I think there
> are a lot of users who would like to help but lack some motivation to get
> started on their own. A bug hunting day could give them the incentive.

Yes indeed. I'm certainly available to assist a new person to make him/her a
bug hunter. So this is a good idea.... But I don't see the people standing in
line for this task... If they/you do please speak up!

But the issue was, if i remember correctly that James wanted to hunt some bugs
and I think he can do that anyway.

> Especially konqueror could need some attention: Konqueror currently has
> 1786 open bugs and 1204 open wishes [1] ! Our devs have better things to do
> then to verify all those bugs :-) and this task is far too large to be
> adressed by 2-3 people. A lot of them are old and easy to verify. Most of
> the time it is just a link to webpage or an attached test case so there is
> almost no technical knowledge required.

I agree, a bug hunting group should be formed for this.

> I would help in organizing a bug day especially 'adapting' some of the
> excellent documentation from our friends at gnome [2]. Their docs do a
> better job at helping new user than [3] or [4], IMHO. (No offense meant to
> the authors of these docs, the gnome people have been active for a far
> longer time.)
>
> What do you think?

I think we should organise a bug hunting day, but let us focus on managing the
bugs, not on writing yet another document.