{Bug Hunting] Konsole

Carlos Leonhard Woelz carloswoelz at imap-mail.com
Mon Sep 6 17:50:48 CEST 2004

Hi Michael,

On Monday 06 September 2004 07:22, Michael Jahn wrote:
> On Monday, 6. September 2004 00:44, Tom Albers wrote:
> > We've done so with a couple hundred reports for kmail and together with
> > finding duplicates you can really help the developers a lot.
>
> And for that reason we should do a bug squashing day IMHO. I think there
> are a lot of users who would like to help but lack some motivation to get
> started on their own. A bug hunting day could give them the incentive.

I agree 100%.

> Especially konqueror could need some attention: Konqueror currently has
> 1786 open bugs and 1204 open wishes [1] ! Our devs have better things to do
> then to verify all those bugs :-) and this task is far too large to be
> adressed by 2-3 people. A lot of them are old and easy to verify. Most of
> the time it is just a link to webpage or an attached test case so there is
> almost no technical knowledge required.

Agreed again.

> I would help in organizing a bug day especially 'adapting' some of the
> excellent documentation from our friends at gnome [2]. Their docs do a
> better job at helping new user than [3] or [4], IMHO.

Yes, their docs are much better: they are structured in a step-by-step, what
you need to know basis. Ours is a simple page, with some tips. Do you want to
improve our docs?

> (No offense meant to
> the authors of these docs, the gnome people have been active for a far
> longer time.)
No offense taken :) I wrote [3] based on [4] (so [4] is outdated), when I had
very little personal experience with bug hunting (now did some bug management
for KPilot, so I have a bit more experience). In fact, I wrote most of the
guides with very little personal experience on the subjects, using other
sources of information as a base. The guides evolved nicely: the building
guide, media (this one by Tom) and the CVS guide are very good IMHO. But the
docs, ui, bugs and hacking (this one by Marc) guides could be improved. I am
already working with the doc team to improve the docs guide. So help with the
bugs guide is more than welcome.

You can get it at www/areas/quality/develop/howto in KDE cvs. Please e-mail me
your cvs user so I can ask sysadmin to give you access to www/areas/quality.

> What do you think?
I think you are right to the point.

> [1]: http://bugs.kde.org/weekly-bug-summary.cgi
> [2]: http://developer.gnome.org/projects/bugsquad/ (look at Navigation Menu