{Bug Hunting] Konsole

Michael Jahn michael.linux at web.de
Mon Sep 6 12:22:00 CEST 2004

On Monday, 6. September 2004 00:44, Tom Albers wrote:
> Op maandag 6 september 2004 05:30, schreef Datschge:
> > On Sunday 05 September 2004 17:31, James Richard Tyrer wrote:

> > I think the best solution for this would organizing regular bug
> > hunting days on IRC where people like you can gather and in cases
> > like you are stuck in right now you can timely discuss them.
>
> I think you do not need a bug hunting day to work on that.

You don't necessarily need one for _that_, I agree.

> There are loads of bug reports which can be rewritten in a way developers
can handle it quickly (like in a step-by-step-manual).

> Unconfirmed reports who are a few years old need checking if they still
> apply...
>
> We've done so with a couple hundred reports for kmail and together with
> finding duplicates you can really help the developers a lot.

And for that reason we should do a bug squashing day IMHO. I think there are a
lot of users who would like to help but lack some motivation to get started
on their own. A bug hunting day could give them the incentive.

Especially konqueror could need some attention: Konqueror currently has 1786
open bugs and 1204 open wishes [1] ! Our devs have better things to do then
to verify all those bugs :-) and this task is far too large to be adressed by
2-3 people. A lot of them are old and easy to verify. Most of the time it is
just a link to webpage or an attached test case so there is almost no
technical knowledge required.

I would help in organizing a bug day especially 'adapting' some of the
excellent documentation from our friends at gnome [2]. Their docs do a better
job at helping new user than [3] or [4], IMHO. (No offense meant to the
authors of these docs, the gnome people have been active for a far longer
time.)

What do you think?

Regards,
Michael Jahn