KDE build tool

J. Preiss auba at auba.de
Sat Sep 4 01:22:20 CEST 2004

Hi,
thanks for feedback...

> I googled for it, and could not find it to check it out.
Well, I started it the day before yesterday, and I do not have a homepage. In
sourceforge it should be listet.

> BTW, have you checked  the other KDE build tools for idead /cooperaion?
> There are several of them: kde-build, konstruct, kdecvs-build, etc..., and
> even a more generic one, simple installer. They are all available at
> kde-apps.com or kdesdk module.
Well, I read that page how to compile kde and only found shell scripts  or
nice hints. One app I found was on sf, but it was in python. So I decided to
create a new one... why aren't the apps you mentioned linked on that page????

> I am not sure what you are asking/announcing, but If you are looking for
> feedback on your app, posting it on kde-apps is a must.
I did not feel right on kde-apps... its not really a kde app, only a small
tool to create them :-) Therefore, it does not need all that kde stuff, nor
to be within one of those big packages (like kdebase or kdemultimedia). You
even dont have to have kde installed on your system, only qt itself. But ok -
I dont know anything about konstruct and the others, maybe I have to have a
look at them.

[All hope is gone to write a small tool someone could use *sniff*]

Thanks anyway

PS: Maybe you could send the following information to the right adress (I
guess "quality" in the adress has a meaning ;-):
- you *can* compile kde with these hints on the kde page, but first you have
to decide how to get the sources, cvs or cvsup... cvsup seems to be faster,
but its more difficult with all that link stuff
- you *can* install it, but you have to decide if you want it into your
running system or to /usr/local...
- I once compiled it into my running system, I wanted to have the latest
version of xyz. I read a lot of stuff on the kde page, felt happy for about 4
hours, restarted... and got an empty kde menu :-( The system was completly
unusable then, I had to reinstall everything. I think there was a call of...
dont know... sysoca?.... missing. I read it yesterday in a shell script, font
pico with size 8.

I know, KDE is too big (and too great) to be simple, but why is the kde page
so difficult to read? An example: you are new, go to kde.org. You want the
latest at all... Download/Development? - Ok, next? Cvsup? Lets assume you are
smart, you find the "Compile kde" (Dont laugh, you dont see it first time) -
ok, heres konstruct
<snip>
Found it first time today, downloaded it, untar'd it... and now? 'less
README'... read... read... read.. 'ls'... 'make'... 'less README'... read...
- oh "as easy as cd meta, make install'.... ??? Tried it, and something
happended. Cool. But what? Its still running, lets see what happens....
</snip>
Until this point I already tried out cvsup and the cvs part, too. But hey -
there is a Newbie guide, great! Mmmmh... it sends me to quality.kde.org...
read.. theres another hint how to build kde with cvs sources... very very
strange!

What about the following:
[Download/Development]  -> KDE Developers corner
-> [Overview] / [Install tool] / [Advanced users] / [Background]
where "install tool" means download, compile, execute, select what you want?

and why the hell has quality.kde.org something to do with building the cvs
sources?
First example:
'A team member should choose one application to care, and act to ensure the
quality of application.'
I think I'm not yet a member, but I choose the web page itself :-)
Second:
'...but non developers will find it especially appealing, because no
programming skills are required to be part of the team and highly
productive.'
seems cool. I am not a developer, so, please, whats cvs exactly?

Do you know what I mean? I dont want to blame someone. I dont want to be
misunderstood... someone has written all that stuff, someone had all that
work and did it. Great. But there was not one, there were many. And as much
as they where, as much information is to read. Isnt there a way to say: you
want the latest stuff? - here it goes. But second: oh, you know what you are
doing? Then you might go this way (cvsup), and here's another way you can go
(cvs)... but keep in mind, after (make Makefile.cvs...make install) you have
to do (whatsoever).

Mmmh... konstruct is still going on... I'll play a bit foobillard, lets see
what will happen.

cu