KDE build tool

Carlos Leonhard Woelz carloswoelz at imap-mail.com
Sun Sep 5 00:37:57 CEST 2004

On Friday 03 September 2004 08:22 pm, J. Preiss wrote:
> Well, I read that page how to compile kde and only found shell scripts  or
> nice hints. One app I found was on sf, but it was in python. So I decided
> to create a new one... why aren't the apps you mentioned linked on that
> page????

What page?
http://quality.kde.org/develop/cvsguide/buildstep.php is the page I maintain.
It makes use of the kde-build script.
It is liked from the http://developer.kde.org/build/ as the "Newbie Guide".

There are other pages, of course, but no one is so complete ;)

> I did not feel right on kde-apps... its not really a kde app, only a small
> tool to create them :-) Therefore, it does not need all that kde stuff, nor
> to be within one of those big packages (like kdebase or kdemultimedia). You
> even dont have to have kde installed on your system, only qt itself. But ok
> - I dont know anything about konstruct and the others, maybe I have to have
> a look at them.

Using interpreted languages instead of C++ to create build scripts has some
advantages. That said, your application is unique: it is the only one in C++.

> [All hope is gone to write a small tool someone could use *sniff*]
Oh, don't be disapointed. And welcome on board. You did the right thing: you
asked. If people did more of that, we would have much less duplication of
code and more code inside CVS: there are nice apps / improvements out there
that are not integrated only because the author never submitted it.

> PS: Maybe you could send the following information to the right adress (I
> guess "quality" in the adress has a meaning ;-):
> - you *can* compile kde with these hints on the kde page, but first you
> have to decide how to get the sources, cvs or cvsup... cvsup seems to be
> faster, but its more difficult with all that link stuff
> - you *can* install it, but you have to decide if you want it into your
> running system or to /usr/local...
> - I once compiled it into my running system, I wanted to have the latest
> version of xyz. I read a lot of stuff on the kde page, felt happy for about
> 4 hours, restarted... and got an empty kde menu :-( The system was
> completly unusable then, I had to reinstall everything. I think there was a
> call of... dont know... sysoca?.... missing. I read it yesterday in a shell
> script, font pico with size 8.
About all this info:
Check Newbie Guide, using the links above. It is a step by step guide, located
at quality.kde.org and it includes *all*  this info. You are probably
referring to another web page. Can you tell me which?

> I know, KDE is too big (and too great) to be simple, but why is the kde
> page so difficult to read? An example: you are new, go to kde.org. You want
> the latest at all... Download/Development? - Ok, next? Cvsup? Lets assume
> you are smart, you find the "Compile kde" (Dont laugh, you dont see it
> first time) - ok, heres konstruct
> Found it first time today, downloaded it, untar'd it... and now? 'less
> README'... read... read... read.. 'ls'... 'make'... 'less README'...
> read... - oh "as easy as cd meta, make install'.... ??? Tried it, and
> something happended. Cool. But what? Its still running, lets see what
> happens.... </snip>
> Until this point I already tried out cvsup and the cvs part, too. But hey -
> there is a Newbie guide, great! Mmmmh... it sends me to quality.kde.org...
> read.. theres another hint how to build kde with cvs sources... very very
> strange!
Hey, you found my guide!

> What about the following:
> [Download/Development]  -> KDE Developers corner
> -> [Overview] / [Install tool] / [Advanced users] / [Background]
> where "install tool" means download, compile, execute, select what you
> want?
> and why the hell has quality.kde.org something to do with building the cvs
> sources?
You are correct. It should link directly to
http://quality.kde.org/develop/cvsguide/buildstep.php .

> First example:
> 'A team member should choose one application to care, and act to ensure the
> quality of application.'
> I think I'm not yet a member, but I choose the web page itself :-)
> Second:
> '...but non developers will find it especially appealing, because no
> programming skills are required to be part of the team and highly
> productive.'
> seems cool. I am not a developer, so, please, whats cvs exactly?
Because you need it to see the new features of an app to write the
documentation, or preview articles, or to be a beta tester, even if you are
not a developer.

> Do you know what I mean? I dont want to blame someone. I dont want to be
> misunderstood... someone has written all that stuff, someone had all that
> work and did it. Great. But there was not one, there were many. And as much
> as they where, as much information is to read. Isnt there a way to say: you
> want the latest stuff? - here it goes.
What about http://quality.kde.org/develop/cvsguide/buildstep.php as the main
link at http://developer.kde.org/build/ ? Do you think that page can work as
the main gate for people interested in building KDE?

> But second: oh, you know what you
> are doing? Then you might go this way (cvsup), and here's another way you
> can go (cvs)... but keep in mind, after (make Makefile.cvs...make install)
> you have to do (whatsoever).
>
> Mmmh... konstruct is still going on... I'll play a bit foobillard, lets see
> what will happen.

Thanks for all your comments on the documentation on how to build KDE. It is
an intesting usability test. Let's see if we can make it easier, and remove
info / guides that do not work anymore. Any comments are very welcome.

Cheers,

Carlos Woelz