Writeup from aKademy

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Wed Sep 1 11:38:48 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 01 September 2004 00:50, Aaron Seigo wrote:

> then again ........ i really am queasy with the idea of each
> application having it's own say in L&F issues. L&F is a holistic
> issue as opposed to a per-app issue (ergo the icon themes), and there
> are tangible benefits to it being respected as such. i'd sooner see
> the artists take maintainership over ALL art in KDE than have each
> app maintainer do so. they are experts in this area and have a better
> position to deliver consistency and quality than probably any app
> maintainer in KDE does.

If you have ever tried to get icons or even advice about icons from
artists you know that it isn't feasible to give them any kind of
control over the artwork other than that constituted by actual
contributions.

How many artists do we have in KDE per application? How many developers
and maintainers? Usually the maintainers and developers know much
better about the requirements and problems of the artwork than the
artists.

I really don't like these ideas about giving some formal control about
applications to anybody. We are still an open source project. Those who
do the work decide.