Writeup from aKademy

Tom Chance lists at tomchance.org.uk
Wed Sep 1 01:12:53 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 31 Aug 2004 23:50, Aaron Seigo wrote:
> On August 31, 2004 15:16, Carlos Leonhard Woelz wrote:
> > I would be cool with this only if the apps maintainers are cool with
> > this. In the end, I believe the maintainer has the right to decide.
>
> AFAIC, unless the maintainer of an app in KDE's CVS has a very, very good
> reason for violating the style guide they do not have that lattitude. esp
> when it comes to identity and consistency in L&F.
>
> so perhaps the art people could go through and disqualify any
> non-CIG-following entrants and then provide recommendations with the app
> maintainers having final say...
>
> then again ........ i really am queasy with the idea of each application
> having it's own say in L&F issues. L&F is a holistic issue as opposed to a
> per-app issue (ergo the icon themes), and there are tangible benefits to it
> being respected as such. i'd sooner see the artists take maintainership
> over ALL art in KDE than have each app maintainer do so. they are experts
> in this area and have a better position to deliver consistency and quality
> than probably any app maintainer in KDE does.
>
> if the artists are cool with that idea, i'd be happy to propose exactly
> that on kde-core-devel to see what developer buy-in would be like.

Well I've yet to hear from a developer who wanted to wrestle control of their
icons from artists!

It would seem sensible to simply include adhering to the various new
guidelines being drwn up amongst the conditions for entering KDE CVS, be it
in a main module or kde-extragear. If a developer doesn't want to abide by
KDE's choice of button order or its icon set, then he/she can simply continue
developing outside of the KDE Project.

Of course, that said, we have to be careful not to block entry to CVS for
applications that haven't met the guidelines yet but are trying to, and would
benefit from joining the fold.

Anyway, that's a wordy way of saying: yeah, let's work these considerations
into the project as a whole :) We could do a lot of good for all concerned by
clarifying all this stuff and then communicating it with clarity to the wider
world!

Regards,
Tom